Latin Club Celebrates Saturnalia

Caroline Kourafas, Contributing Writer

In honor of the ancient Roman festival, the Hingham High School Latin Club held their annual Saturnalia Yankee Swap on Wednesday. In Ancient Rome, Saturnalia was a festival held from December 17th to December 23 to honor the deity, Saturn.

For the event, the participants were required to bring a gift that cost five dollars at most and a food or drink item.

Junior Fiona Pierce, says, “I thought it was pretty fun and nice that the limit was five dollars because it made it more about acknowledging a tradition rather than material things.”

As the tables filled up with food and gifts, everyone picked a number. Claire Bochman selected number one, meaning she got to pick a gift first and last.

The most wanted gift was put in by the man himself, Mr. Urbinati. Will Hussey unwrapped the gift to find a framed portrait of Mr. Urbaniti.

For any students who have entered Mr.Urbinati’s room this year, you’d probably recognize the “shrine” in the back of the classroom. Originally it started as just a couple of photos of the beloved Latin teacher, but it has escalated to a gathering of mementos from the different Latin classes this year. It’s quite the sight. The framed picture sparked a change of trading of gifts, everyone wanted the picture.  The gift was a hit.

With over 60 kids who attended, the annual gathering of the Latin club in honor of this ancient holiday was as popular as it was the year before. Tricia Sanchez- Martinez is a senior and this will be her last year in the Latin club. She said that “[she]  thinks [she] will miss it next year…”. After taking Latin all four years, she has been with the same class and had Mr.Minihane for three years, “…so it will be bittersweet to move on when [she takes] Latin in college and being with completely different kids and having a different teacher.”

Over the years, the Latin club has created a fun, learning environment consisting of fun traditions that help our students grow closer to the culture learned about in their classroom.