HHS Global Event Update

Isabel Allen

Students including Molly Casey, Michael Williams, and Maddie Stimson went on a tour of Boston for GCP this summer with students visiting from Osaka, Japan.

Isabel Allen, Senior Staff Writer

Hingham High School’s Global Citizenship Program is off to a great start this year with a bunch of fun events for September and October, and everyone is excited for the variety of school trips that are being offered this year. Hingham went to places all over the world last school year and this past summer, from Japan to Italy to South Africa. This year, we are looking forward to trips to Japan, Guatemala, Spain, and Germany! The trip to Guatemala will be a service trip, and the students that are going to travel there to help local communities will soon begin their fundraising in Hingham. There will be trips to Guatemala during both April vacation and February vacation hosted by the School of the World Foundation. Anyone interested can go to an informational meeting on September 30th, and more information can be found on the GCP bulletin board or by talking to a GCP advisor, such as Ms. Roth. Since the much­ anticipated trip to Thailand has been canceled due to the declaration of martial law and the hostile environment, Mr. Louchheim will be taking students on a trip to a few countries in Europe including Germany and the Czech Republic. Ms. Roth will be going with students to Japan where they will stop in Tennoji, which is the home city of the Japanese students who visited Hingham High School last year. All of these trips are definitely going to be fun and exciting, and will expose some immensely different cultures from the ones we find in the United States.

The Global Citizenship Program has some events coming up soon, including a movie night for the International Day of the Girl, a movie night for Spanish Club, and farther in the future there will be a Books and Banter about I Am Malala, so anyone who wants to read it beforehand will have time to do so and join in on the discussion. GCP wants to emphasize that everyone is welcome to join the Global Citizenship Club and anyone can come to any of the events or meetings that they are interested in!