Track and Field slays the Dragons

Mimi Jiang-Yu

(From left to right) senior Alex Denning, sophomore Mary Claire Walsh, and sophomore Isabel McCabe compete in the girls 100m hurdles.

Mimi Jiang-Yu, Photo Editor

Last Wednesday (April 13), the girls and boys Track and Field teams won their second meet of the season against Duxbury. The girls team defeated the Dragons by a score of 109-23, and the boys 79-57. Leading point scorers for the girls team were junior Elizabeth Blackwood, senior Maureen Koenen, and junior Kelsey Tarby. For the boys team, seniors Avery Warshaw and Jared Salem led in points. Both teams’ records improve to 2-0 and face Marshfield next on Tuesday, April 26, 2022, at home and compete at the MSTCA DII State Relay Championships in North Andover on Saturday, April 30, 2022.

There were many personal records (PR) and season records (SR) achieved by athletes across all events. “I just wanted to improve on my time from last week’s [meet at Plymouth North] and bring it closer to my PR, which I did successfully,” senior Ashley Jewell, winner of the girls 800 meters race, said of her performance. “It was one of my better races, and I really appreciated my team being my biggest supporters once again!” Of the season so far, Jewell said, “This season is already going so well for everyone, and I can’t wait to see how State Relays go!”