Prom Season

Hannah Walsh

The junior class met early on Wednesday morning to discuss and vote for prom themes.

Hannah Walsh, Contributing Writer

Is it prom season yet? It sure feels like it.
Despite the fact that both senior and junior prom are over two months away, talk of dresses, dates, and other prom related things are beginning to dominate conversations in almost every class. This year, the senior prom is to be held at Granite Links in Quincy on June 2nd. The seniors will receive their diplomas just two days later on June 4th, so prom is one of the last big events they will have together as a class. Senior Louisa McCullough shared her feelings about prom saying, “Our grade has been through a lot together, good and bad,¬ but prom will be a fun night just to all be together and celebrate all of our years together.” Senior prom is a sentimental night for many as it is one of the last times people will see some of their classmates, so naturally it is a big deal to most of the grade.

The junior class has been preparing for prom since freshman year and the class officers including Max Giarrusso, Brad Patterson, Noah Goodman and Elizabeth Croteau have done a great job organizing meetings, fundraisers, and opportunities for the entire grade to participate in planning this event. For the past few months, multiple class meetings have been held to discuss prom night and on this past Wednesday, March 2nd the theme for the event was picked. The top three choices were Harry Potter, Boardwalk, and Arabian Nights. The votes were tight, but the winner was Arabian Nights.

Many people are wondering, “is it too early to talk about prom?” Personally, I think it is too early. People agree with me that it is too early to talk about it, but everyone is very excited nonetheless. Junior secretary Elizabeth Croteau shared her feelings about prom saying, “I am so excited for prom especially because the Arabian nights theme is going to be so cool!¬ But I think what’s really scary is that AP tests are even before prom so as for right now, I am focusing on those first!” It’s true, both proms are happening during very busy times, with SAT, AP tests, and other college prep stuff happening in May for juniors, and graduation being just days after prom for seniors.

Unfortunately, prom sometimes does require planning almost ridiculously far ahead. Almost every school in Massachusetts will be having a prom, and dresses do run out! Hair appointments, limos, and tux rentals all need to be planned a considerable amount of time before prom night. So, even though prom is still a distant thought for many, it does good to prepare early! It is easy to become stressed about prom, but there are reasons why it should be solely a fun, memorable, and stress-¬free experience! For one thing, it is a time where the whole grade can unite all together, which doesn’t happen very often outside of the HHS auditorium. For seniors, it is a “last hurrah!” and for juniors it can serve as an escape from the stress of junior year. Overall, prom season is very exciting! Every grade dedicates a considerable amount of time into fundraising and planning for prom night, and according to junior Kate Farrell, “all of the work we have put into planning prom night is going to be so worth it.”